New guitar

Public Forum. All are welcome

Moderators: Tiger, Space

Colslaw
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

New guitar

Unread post by Colslaw »

I picked up yet another new guitar the other day, it can be seen on the left in this shot
here is how it fits in the grand scheme of things on the electric wall. .. two other new guitars there are Lily's Mahalo Ukulele and Cloe's Stage One strat
Lt. Colonel Colslaw
=AVG=

american
Captain
Captain

Re: New guitar

Unread post by american »

I like the pink one!

Man i wish i knew how to play guitar!
Captain American
1st Pursuit Squadron, Adam & Eves

Tiger
Colonel
Colonel
Loading…

Unread post by Tiger »

american wrote:I like the pink one!
What a surprize! :mrgreen:
Colonel Tiger
Commanding Officer
3rd Pursuit Squadron, HELL'S ANGELS

"A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Colslaw
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Unread post by Colslaw »

I think you'd have to fight Cloe to get that one. The day I bought it she spent an hour polishing it, so I am assuming she likes it as well.

It is actually a cheap dept store brand that I got a good deal on as it was missing the mini amplifier that was supposed to come with it and all the frets were too long and hung out over the edge of the fretboard and would cut your hand up. 1/2 hour of filing and the frets are now normal, but the neck has a huge warp to it that is going to be fun to correct.

The ukulele was an even better deal. .. it is normally around $100, but the guy in the store said it wasn't working right, so $25 to get rid of it. I immediately scooped it up for Lillian ... the next day I asked him if he had thought to check the battery compartment!!!!!! Lily wants to paint it pink, so it is in the process of being sanded down to get refinished. Both of these are so I have cheap guitars that I can make major changes to prior to doing similar to my 'real' ones.

I had a big surprise when I opened up the control cavity on the new guitar. I expected to see a solid chunk of mahogany, instead it is three layers of mahogany with the middle layer being cut away to make the lower half of the guitar hollow and a lot lighter. Newer Gibson Les Pauls do similar weight relief, but nowhere in the company literature have I seen this done to Vintage (tm) Les Pauls.

I'm presently trying to sell the red guitar in favour of a butterscotch finished telecaster ... or I may just break down and get the Tele too. :-)

American, it is never too late to learn to play if you want to. A bass player I played with 25 years ago couldn't play a note in August, and by December he was learning Rush. Many of my other friends took up guitar after graduation, and most of us are still at it in various bar bands. There is a wealth of online information and lessons that just were not available when I started. A program called Guitar Pro gives you the music in standard and tablature notation and also plays the notes. You may turn off your part to play along with the rest of the song.
Lt. Colonel Colslaw
=AVG=

deadfred

Unread post by deadfred »

that's a sick les paul! But putting it in the grass next to gravel :shock: you are more brave than I!

Nice find tho :)

Colslaw
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Unread post by Colslaw »

I bought the black LP custom off a friend of mine 25 years ago. .. the yellow guitar was a total spur of the moment purchase for my birthday last year, while the sunburst one was a special order from the local guitar shop.

The grass was dry and there was no danger from the gravel. I still have to get some good quality shots of all my guitars as I realise I don't have any photos of most of the various ones I have owned

1979 Gibson Les Paul Custom - black
1993 Fender Strat - Sky Blue (faded to turquoise)
2007 Hamer Explorer - red
2008 Epiphone Explorer - Korina
2009 Vintage VR100LM - TV Yellow (so called because in the b/w TV era, white was too bright, but yellow looked good onscreen)
2010 Vintage V100IT - flamed Iced Tea
Lt. Colonel Colslaw
=AVG=